Stock photography is one of the best ways to make money from photography, that too by simply uploading your photos online. Some of the trusted stock photography websites such as Shutterstock, iStock by Getty or 123RF allows you to submit your stock images for free.
You might have thousands of images lying idle in your storage device, or you must have been deleting images that you assume would be of no use to you. Let me give you an advice, stop deleting your images right away and re-visit your images again. You never know you might end up with multiple images which can be used to sell on stock image websites.
What is Stock Photography
Stock photography is all about capturing the essence and emotions of the subject in the photo, then be it human beings, a coffee mug, a building, or any random subject. This form of photography is mostly about clicking photos which the advertising agencies or publishing houses would like to buy.
Websites like Shutterstock are known globally and they help you showcase your creative image in exchange for a commission. You can earn a huge amount of money just by selling your stock images online, but remember it is not only you who would be uploading stock images on such websites, there would be many photographers doing the same.
Tips on how to do Stock Photography and make money from photography
- If you are planning to click stock images with people in them, then you will have to get a model release signed by each and every human whose face is visible in the photos.
- You might also have to get a release signed by the authorized person, in case you are clicking a private property such as a house or a building.
- Leave some breathing space around the subject as the agency or individual who buys your stock image might want to add some text to it. Think like an advertiser.
- Take multiple shots of the same subject from different angles, you never know which one is chosen by the advertiser.
- Uploading bulk images is a better idea as it increases the chances of an image getting selected by the buyer.
- Explore stock image website and check their best selling images, then plan your shoots around those images for better sales.
To get started with Stock Photography, register yourself on Shutterstock.